This is the story of my quest to train my three Dales Ponies for classical dressage, primarily by using Alexandra Kurland's clicker training methods, with a touch of others such as Philippe Karl and Anja Beran thrown in. I turned to clicker training because I had come up against some issues that I didn't know how to fix and because I wanted to inspire them to become enthusiatic partners. Bella and Jack are all my own work and have never been ridden by anyone else.


Bella, Grace and Jack

Bella aged 6

Bella aged 6

Treat Delivery

Jack aged 7

Jack

Monday 10 November 2008

I'm having terrible problems with Jack!. He has gone from a horse who hated being in the school to a horse who won't come out of it, literally!

When we have finished I always end at the scary back of the school and jump off to give him his jackpot. Then I have to lead him the length of the school to get him out. He knows the jackpot means that we've finished but always tries a bit of shoulder in, ect. to try and earn some extra treats on the way in.

Now, when we get to the entrance, he deliberately cuts infront of me and tries to steer me back into the school, to do some more work. I can't get him out without either using the Tai Chi rein or picking up the outside rein! His motivation is all for staying and none for leaving, which is about as complete a turnaround as you could get! I blame it on the Foxes Glacier Darks, which he only ever gets in the school!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a clicker training addict and there is no cure - thank goodness!!!