This is the story of my quest to train my three Dales Ponies for classical dressage, primarily by using Alexandra Kurland's clicker training methods, with a touch of others such as Philippe Karl and Anja Beran thrown in. I turned to clicker training because I had come up against some issues that I didn't know how to fix and because I wanted to inspire them to become enthusiatic partners. Bella and Jack are all my own work and have never been ridden by anyone else.


Bella, Grace and Jack

Bella aged 6

Bella aged 6

Treat Delivery

Jack aged 7

Jack

Monday 10 November 2008

Had another lightbulb moment, courtesy of Mr. De Kunffy today. I have been reading the book very slowly, mulling it over and trying to make sure it all goes in, I love it so much.

This morning I got to the part about leg aids, and he says to use your calf via a rotation of your ankles - turn toes in but without them touching the horse, lower heels which turns toes out slightly again, and then turn toes in again. It creates a wave-like movement in your calf muscle - light as a feather.

I have never been 100% happy with my leg aids. I tried to just use my calf but I knew that my leg stiffened as I used it, and my heels usually came into contact with their sides, which I knew was wrong, but I couldn't find a way to put it right.

Using De Kunffy's method I realise that my problem has been stiffness in my ankles - NO MORE!!!! ALL GONE FOREVER!!!! My horses love my new, feather light leg aids which leave me free to immediately go with the movement I have asked for; they respond instantly and enthusiastically, and I am hardly doing anything at all!

THANK YOU MR. DE KUNFFY! ANOTHER HUGE STEP FORWARD, ANOTHER PERSON TO KISS IF I EVER MEET THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(If he read this he'd be praying I don't make it to his clinic in Surrey!!!) Shocked laugh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a clicker training addict and there is no cure - thank goodness!!!